Friday, December 28, 2012

Reading Response #10, Choosing our Own Focus

I'm currently reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. My focus I choose was how Aibileen's owner, Mrs. Leefolt  decided that Aibileen was no longer allowed to use the same bathroom as her family. I chose this focus because I think Aibileen should've said something. I think if Minny, her friend was in her spot, she would've said something. Aibileen always stays quiet, and I wish in certain situations, she didn't.

Mrs. Leefolt came up with this idea from Mrs. Hilly, another lady from the Benefit that the ladies did. She convinced her to make a separate bathrrom for Aibileen to have when she had to use the restroom. She did this because Mrs. Hilly put in her mind that sharing ANY bathroom in the house with a black person was disgusting. I think that in a way this is unfair to Aibileen because Mrs. Leefolt doesn't even use the guest room bathroom. Aibileen always cleans the bathroom after anyone uses it, so whats the point?Mrs. Hilly told Mrs. Leefolt that black people carry diseases and that a white person could easily catch it. Mrs. Hilly said she wants a law requiring white people to build outside bathrooms that their black employees must use.

In conclusion, I think that its unfair the way some white ladies treat their slaves. Especially how Mrs. Leefolt actually did it.  One lady at the Leefolt house, Skeeter said " "Maybe we ought to just build you a bathroom outside, Hilly" Skeeter asked Aibileen that day, "what do you think about them going to make you a bathroom?" Aibileen never got to answer but I think she should have. Skeeter would of listened to everything she would've said. I think Mrs. Leefolt should pay Aibileen a little more respect. Aibileen does everything for her. Cleans, cooks, watches her daughter. What more could she ask for?

2 comments:

  1. This post is really good. You put in a lot of deep thinking into your blog post. I also think that what you said earlier about Aibileen and her not speaking up might be wrong. They couldn't really speak up with out a consequence like a beating they had to do what the owner said or else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this post made me want to read this book and i like how you wrote it clearly and organized.the detials that you put gave me a clear image of what was going on and the conclusion ends with a valuable lesson.

    ReplyDelete